I can do whatever I want


In an effort to look at the positive of living where I do, I shall now list what I have come up with...a slightly snarky list.

- I do not have to deal with any townhouse ladies because there are not any, though there are some town house lady wanna be's.

- I can read ALL the books. Free time all day, every day? If a book comes in Kindle form, I can read it. All the time in the world.

- Same goes for Netflix viewing. Can binge watch anything without feeling like I should be doing something else.

- I can grow a big container garden. A really really big container garden. In fact this weekend is step two in that operation - the part where we go to 'plastic' street and buy lots and lots of flower pots and dirt for a song.

- I have gotten over the email manners here. So I am never very stressed about owing anyone an email. I rarely get any from people here and certainly don't get replies. So no worry.

- I have also accepted there will never be a CLO event of any interest to my, oldest kids at post, kids. Easter egg hunt for the preschool set? No thanks, and everyone in my house is happy with that.

- Knitting and sewing all the things. Do I want to spend a year knitting nothing but shawls? Quite possibly and since there is no craft group, I have no one to roll their eyes about it.

- I started an Etsy shop and have already had a few haters contact me or higher ups to try and tattle. Sorry bitter FS types, but I use local mail. For real. I order all supplies from European Etsy sellers, and I know exactly how to mail a package using the local post office. My post man likes to chat with me about his brother living in NJ. If your interested, my shop is called The Practical Life. I sell bags. I also now have two friends who run a tiny little notions shop in the market. They speak perfect English and can get me anything. I want a 9 inch zipper? Just a minute...and they come back with a 9 inch zipper. Local finds can be fun. Last time I was in the shop, they offered me tea, delivered by a guy with a tray a la Istanbul markets.

So it is not all bad. Lonely sometimes yes, but I am figuring out how to do things that I am quite sure no one else knows how to do here. And that is an empowering feeling.



2 comments

  1. ahh, the joys of a small post and with older kids... hoping that they too are finding their niche. Will check out your shop! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'll be moving to Skopje next summer and it seems I have a lot to look forward to ... 8) LOL

    ReplyDelete